Saturday, September 10, 2011

Creamed Spinach and Corn on the Cob

I was reading a previous post about creamed spinach and I realized that I never added a recipe for it! It made me a bit sad because I don't quite remember how I did it, I remember winging it for the most part. Shoot! maybe I can try to remember it.

Healthier Creamed Spinach

4 cups of fresh spinach
1/2 cup of non fat milk
1 tablespoon butter/margarine
1 tablespoon flour
garlic to taste (I used a little less than a tablespoon)

Steam spinach in a sauce pan. Add about 2 inches of water into the pan and then add spinach and place the lid on it for about 4 minutes.
Remove spinach from the pan and chop and separate, as it all forms one clump.
Heat butter and garlic in sauce pan and add milk. Add in the flour and whisk continuously so the milk doesn't foam and so the mixture doesn't thicken too quickly. Add in chopped, cooked spinach. Turn off the heat and let rest.


So for my endeavor after cooking up burritos I decided to tackle the corn. I love corn on the cob. It was mine and my brother's favorite vegetable (second being carrots) when we were little. We used to douse the corn in salt and butter when we were little too, making it very unhealthy. As I grew up my family still eats their corn with salt and butter, but I enjoy it plain. I even have a new way of eating it, line by line using my bottom teeth. My dad makes fun of me because it looks like a bird got to the cob, for there is nothing left but the bare cob at the end.
Anyway, after being home in Chicago with my family, it made me realize how much I love eating corn on the cob, corn in the can is just not the same. So when I returned I bought fresh corn and realized I had a problem. I had NO idea how to cook corn, or how to shuck it. The shucking part was interesting. I made a mess in the kitchen with the little hairs (called "silks") and I couldn't break off the bottom part, I even tried using a knife. For the cooking part, I would be completely lost with EVERYTHING if it wasn't for the internet. I typed in how to boil corn and it came back with one of those answers.com type websites and I learned that you cook corn for no more than 8 minutes in boiling water. So after 8 minutes I was happily eating corn on the cob! Hopefully you're not like me and know how to boil corn, but if not I am happy to share what I have learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment